Something about fall, when the mornings are a little cooler, that makes me go for an extra cup of coffee in the morning! I grew up on coffee, which was a huge social occasion in our home. My grandmother used to let us dip our toast with honey in coffee for breakfast when I was just a little girl and I felt so grown up as a young teen when I was offered to “have coffee” with the grown ups at the end of a dinner party for the first time.
I love the taste of coffee, straight up, black, just by itself, no sweetener, no fancy flavors, no cream…just coffee. I have two cups every morning to start my day. (Right after my warm water with lemon, but that is a blog for another day!) Whatever your coffee pleasure, here are a few great things to know to justify your love of this super beneficial bev.
1. Coffee (caffeine) enhances concentration and productivity.
2. It is a stimulant that boosts brain function, alertness, focus, and even increases memory!
3. By helping sustain intensity and energy, coffee is the perfect pre-strenuous workout beverage.
4. Rich in antioxidants, coffee can lower the risks of some forms of cancer, reduces the risk of Parkinson’s Disease and provides protection to the heart. In addition to these health benefits, coffee is especially concentrated with flavonoids, which have been reported to have anti-allergic and anti-inflammatory properties.
5. Coffee also stimulates stomach cells to release more hydrochloric acid which aides in digestion.
A 2010 study in The Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease found that regular moderate amounts of caffeine has an inverse correlation to cognitive decline and can actually help to protect and heal the brain. Everything in moderation of course, in this study, moderation was defined as 1-3 cups of coffee per day.
So, now when you enjoy your morning coffee, you can feel good about all of the benefits that cup of joe is delivering to your body…a super great way to start the day! Time for my second cup! Oh, and if you want something sweet and yummy to go with yours, try one of my warm and soothing Pumpkin Muffins! (click here for the recipe)